Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Speakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Resident Wharfedaliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I picked up a couple of those big 12" Wharfedale woofers made in 1969 at a thrift store. Bummer I didn't get the rest of the system! Eventually, I would like to build a custom system using these woofers, but it would help to know their specs. Does anyone happen to have a spec sheet for them?

(Components I have on hand that I could potentially use with them would be 8" mids from University Sound Interface II speakers, (which are the more modern ferrite magnet models,) and possibly the University Sound dome tweeters as well, or ESS Heil AlNiCo ribbon Tweeters. ...This could be fun!)
Do you know which model Wharfedale those W12 woofers came from? Or were they mounted in a console system? I believe they were tuned for the particular speaker they were in, unless they're console pulls.

MAIN: 1964 Fisher 800c / 1963 Wharfedale W90's w/ oil caps / 2012 Wharfedale 80th Anniv. Dentons / Grado RSII's

W90'S/800c DEMO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GUDIh7JQ1I

"Your rhymes are jokes like Dangerfield's.... Boy, I'll tell ya'...." - Craig Mack
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Appease my earhole.

Unfortunately, I don't know. I just found them as raw speakers. It's worthy of mention that they have slightly differing designs around the basket edge, but the magnets and cones seem to be the same, and they are dated around the same time. When I hooked them to a receiver to test them, they both worked fine, and I really didn't notice any difference in tone or volume between them. When I get home tonight, maybe I can shoot a photo if that will help...
Old 12-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
Unfortunately, I don't know. I just found them as raw speakers. It's worthy of mention that they have slightly differing designs around the basket edge, but the magnets and cones seem to be the same, and they are dated around the same time. When I hooked them to a receiver to test them, they both worked fine, and I really didn't notice any difference in tone or volume between them. When I get home tonight, maybe I can shoot a photo if that will help...
Well, '69 was the W**D series, if that's any help. I know there are some brochures kicking around online, so maybe check for it on Goggle/Goggle Images. Or you could always build yourself a pair of W70D enclosures. I wonder if those could be matched up with the ceramic version of the Super 3 tweeter. You could get the alnico mids and make yourself some W70C's, although those were 3-ways rather than 4-way. I think the W70's and W90's all used first-order crossovers. I'm pretty-sure all the W90's did.

MAIN: 1964 Fisher 800c / 1963 Wharfedale W90's w/ oil caps / 2012 Wharfedale 80th Anniv. Dentons / Grado RSII's

"Your rhymes are jokes like Dangerfield's.... Boy, I'll tell ya'...." - Craig Mack
Old 12-10-2013, 01:22 PM
AK Member

Wharfdale W70D Taking of back?

I just picked up a pair of w70D speakers. The tweeter and upper midrange on one of the speakers are not working. I was wondering if you have any advice on how to get the back off of the speaker. I have removed all of the screws and it will not budge.

Thanks,

Dmac
Old 12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
AK Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I just picked up a pair of w70D speakers. The tweeter and upper midrange on one of the speakers are not working. I was wondering if you have any advice on how to get the back off of the speaker. I have removed all of the screws and it will not budge.

Thanks,

Dmac
Put a couple of screws back into the holes in the back (not so far as to engage the cabinet), pull them slightly sideways, so the threads bite into the holes, and pull. Failing that, screw a couple of (slightly larger) screw hooks or eye screws into the backs, and pull (again!)! Should come loose.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM
AK Member

Little update ...

I said I must like the "fried egg" tweeters since I liked the sound of the speakers .... well as it turns out *both* tweeters are *dead* ... I guess that mid/hi driver goes high enough for me not to have immediately noticed.

Second, those 8" University drivers proved to have issues as well. When I happened to (just barely) touch the underside of the cone it separated from the surround!

So the University 8" drivers are out and will be replaced with the 8" woofers from Wharfedale Linton 3 speakers. Played open air the Linton 8" driver sounds much better than the University driver, DC impedance differs only by about 1 ohm, so I'm reasonably optimistic the swap will work out.

I should have all this done, including re-cap, in a few days ... they will have start out with the dead tweeters. If they sound promising I will be on the look out for Super 3 or the original fried-egg tweeters ... here's hoping!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:30 PM
AK Member

Thanks!

good idea
Old 12-10-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3733366 View Post
Little update ...

I said I must like the "fried egg" tweeters since I liked the sound of the speakers .... well as it turns out *both* tweeters are *dead* ... I guess that mid/hi driver goes high enough for me not to have immediately noticed.

Second, those 8" University drivers proved to have issues as well. When I happened to (just barely) touch the underside of the cone it separated from the surround!

So the University 8" drivers are out and will be replaced with the 8" woofers from Wharfedale Linton 3 speakers. Played open air the Linton 8" driver sounds much better than the University driver, DC impedance differs only by about 1 ohm, so I'm reasonably optimistic the swap will work out.

I should have all this done, including re-cap, in a few days ... they will have start out with the dead tweeters. If they sound promising I will be on the look out for Super 3 or the original fried-egg tweeters ... here's hoping!
What kind of surrounds do the University mids have? Perhaps they came unglued (and that could be why they don't sound right). Did you check the crossover? Bad/cracked solder points can cause the tweeter issue. Kinda' weird that both are dead.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:05 PM
AK Member

OK here is the new W. from the Linton 3. It is the right size, efficiency doesn't seem to be a mismatch, within am ohm, the University is a screamer in comparison, I think it is a cheap replacement for the original blown drivers.

This one has the same basic inverted surround as the woofer, the materials seem a bit cheaper, the year is [correction] 71-75, but still good. It sounds basically full range to me when I play it open air.

no gasket so improvisation ...

Last edited by b3733366; 12-11-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gang-Twanger View Post
Bad/cracked solder points can cause the tweeter issue. Kinda' weird that both are dead.
Regarding the tweeter I'm talking about measuring them with an excellent multi-meter - they're shorted. I already tore one apart, it was fried where the wire ran straight to the voice coil.

___

(before silicone and bypass caps)

Audiokarma
Old 12-11-2013, 10:34 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3733366 View Post
Thanks.

Yeah saw that and someone did mention W. did a version with pressed basket. I'm looking out for the old (I suspect) versions that have the cast baskets ... and in any case they'll keep what they have till them ... caps ordered.
I have a pair of Denton/W20D 8 inch cast basket woofers from Denton cabinets. Is this an Alnico?

The purple tweeter is identical to the one shown on this thread. The other tweeter was toast.

I have the other style of purple tweeter in my Dovedale 3s, and I love the way it sounds. The imaging is exceptional on the Dovedales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wharfedale W20D 45.jpg (52.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Wharfedale W20D 44.jpg (57.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by BilboBaggins; 12-11-2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Rephrased.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins View Post
I have a pair of Denton/W20D 8 inch cast basket woofers from Denton cabinets. Is this an Alnico?
I would think so. As I understand it was later that W. switched to ceramic (?) magnets.

A more authoritative answer (Gang-Twanger?) would be nice however.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 PM
AK Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboBaggins View Post
Is this an Alnico?
Nope, don't think so. Looks like ferrite (ceramic) to me (just square, not round). Wharfedale did do square alnicos, but those aren't them.

Easy thing with Wharfies, if they're alnico, the mags are bright red, unless we're into "Super" tweets, in which case they're gold. Think cylindrical.

Broad and shallow, black, or steel blue = non-alnico. Not the end of the world. Lots of good Wharfies with ferrite.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTechFan View Post
Nope, don't think so. Looks like ferrite (ceramic) to me (just square, not round). Wharfedale did do square alnicos, but those aren't them.

Easy thing with Wharfies, if they're alnico, the mags are bright red, unless we're into "Super" tweets, in which case they're gold. Think cylindrical.

Broad and shallow, black, or steel blue = non-alnico. Not the end of the world. Lots of good Wharfies with ferrite.
Right. Not alnico. The W**D models were all ceramic. The W70C had an alnico mid with a square magnet structure, but it's hard to miss.

By the way, I'm right in the middle of trying to upload a new demo video. Here's hoping (It took me two hours just to straighten out my YouTube account). I'll do some better ones later, but this will just be a little taste.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 AM
AK Member

Done. Well without tweeters. But into the main system they went replacing Tannoy Arden, needless to say they were doomed.

Again it is strange how close to full range they sound anyway.

They stayed in place for 2 whole days and played a lot so that in itself is something.

Mixed feeling about these but of course reserving judgement for when get some tweeters some day.

Audiokarma