Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Exclusively Sansui

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM
keepin' it real

Talking Au-07 ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van73 View Post
"Love the one your with.."
Ha, yes I agree! The one we have is always the best, and the one we want makes it seem like it no longer exists!

So, to recap my attempts to purchase the AU-07: I trusted my initial impressions that I previously discussed and followed my gut. And along with moral support from bluesky, just decided to let it go.

To make a long story short, it's always my goal to get the seller to spell things out in writing so that I have recourse in the event there's a "he said/she said" discrepancy later on. And as simple as my questions were, the guy never would answer all of them. He acted like he knew it all, but kept contradicting himself and got real pissy when I backed out of the deal early last week.

"His" stuff is currently listed on Audiogon under the name of...well, just do a search for Sansui and you'll see all the most coveted Sansui gear. Then click on the seller, and take a look at what he's selling. You'll see the most coveted gear from every manufacturer. And yet, he only has two sales on Audiogon...for cable.

Today I discovered this AK link from a couple years ago that discusses this exact seller, and his entire m/o:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...72#post3415872

Not to detract from the discussion at hand, but I didn't want to leave anyone hanging. Will repost everything in a new thread about what to watch out for when buying online. I'm not out to chastise this person who is named in the above link, but I may include the entire discussion between us if I think it will help people avoid being scammed.

I thank everyone for their info and advice. And a big thanks and much gratitude to bluesky for all his info, research and help!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM
keepin' it real

And back to the discussion: Even though they're receivers, I've enjoyed the 9090DB in the past, and currently find the 661 to be quite pleasant as well - with the right speakers. I can't speak to the rest of the models, other than what I've read and have been told. It doesn't seem like you can go wrong with any Sansui!

(was just made aware that my avatar doesn't show. will see what I can do about it shortly.)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 PM
just give me some truth

I see it! Green glowing angel-like figure, real pretty!
Old 08-12-2012, 04:02 AM
< Roobarb & Custard

Wink

Ah, Sorry peace train - I am using Chrome here and all I see is "peace train's avatar" in text, with a broken graphic icon.

Switching to IE8 however, I now see the Green Angel too

My apologies.

"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 AM
keepin' it real

Thanks DonQuixote99! No worries John, I just got the search thing straightened out with your help too. (although my laptop actually had been acting up the past couple weeks) Loving AK even more now!!!
Audiokarma
Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM
AK Member

My 919

I just love my AU-919. A straight-wire with gain! Very lovely.
I recapped it a while back with the help of these fine experts on AK.
See this link below.
http://www.thevintageknob.org/sansui-AU-919.html

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM
AK Member

I could not tell which one sound better, the speakers is what you hear and that is what is needed to compare, I bought the B2101 and C2101 because they looked impressive and have been very reliable.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
AK Member

Sansui Saga

I'm a little late to this party, but...
My review at long last of Sansui amps after 5 years of collecting, listening and lurking is too long to post here (2800 words), so I uploaded a pdf to my cat's website at
http://wagthecat.com/suisaga.htm
This method also allows me to tinker with it.
Items discussed: G-9000, CA/BA-3000, CA/BA-F1, AU-11000/(A), AU-919, AU/TU-717, AU-D11 II, AU-555A, TU-9900, TU-666, etc.
Click on "The Sansui Saga" for the text; and on "Central Command" for a photo of the Command Center.
Thanks for everyone's help with this.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
AK Member

I have had au-7700, au-9500, au-719, au-d11II, g9000, 1000a and honestly I can't just pick one and declare it the winner. It really depends on what you're looking for and your tastes. I know that synergy can be an issue, i have some speakers that the au-9500 sounds fabulous on and some that I don't like as well, speakers that the 9500 doesn't work with the 719 or D11 will work with.

I do know that the 9500 has the best low end slam of any amp I've heard, i don't think it's the preamp either, I think it's an incredibly well engineered amplifier. To me it's like the AR9's of amplifiers with the loads-o-nuts bass it has. The g9000 to me just had incredible separation and FM was outstanding. I'd love to hear an 8 someday.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPI-Center View Post
I have had au-7700, au-9500, au-719, au-d11II, g9000, 1000a and honestly I can't just pick one and declare it the winner. It really depends on what you're looking for and your tastes. I know that synergy can be an issue, i have some speakers that the au-9500 sounds fabulous on and some that I don't like as well, speakers that the 9500 doesn't work with the 719 or D11 will work with.

I do know that the 9500 has the best low end slam of any amp I've heard, i don't think it's the preamp either, I think it's an incredibly well engineered amplifier. To me it's like the AR9's of amplifiers with the loads-o-nuts bass it has. The g9000 to me just had incredible separation and FM was outstanding. I'd love to hear an 8 someday.
I have to agree. Much depends on the synergy with your speakers, turntable cartridge, and room acoustics. I have bright horn speakers so I tend to favor the more tube like sound of some of the earlier models. But I have to admit that my G-8000 has incredible separation. In a Led Zeppelin song with a fast drum segment, for example, each drum has a distinct sound that doesn't get drowned out by the other drums. Yet the 8000 still has the characteristic Sansui warmth. So I would vote for the G-9000 or 8000.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
AK Member

I have had some amplifiers in the Sansui brand, about those I feel more musical the AUD-11 of the early 80s. Even the AUD-9 has the same bagde.

The AUD819 (of 1978 or so) is very good and musical too but with a little emphasis in the mid-high frequencies.

The new series AU-Alpha have a different sound, for example I have had the AUalpha607L-extra. For hearing it for some minutes it is OK but I feel it with a emphasis in the high frequencies which are not easily controlable by the tone controls. I sold this amp to a man who are using it in a big place, he needs more high frequency.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Banned

Great discussion, many good choices, alot of considerations to take into account, for example, AU-X1 is quite an amplifier, but it has issues with instability (oscillation), the D11 II (over-senstive protection circuit, etc), some folks like the early 70's era (AU-9500), others such as myself- the latter 70's... so its not easy to narrow it down, as well as making comparisons between models that can vary in wattage and $ price. My # 1 pick which has it all in terms of Power, Sound, Design, Reliability, etc: Sansui BA-5000.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 AM
Banned

ps: other good choices:

B-2302-C-2302 (if you can afford it,

B-2301/C-2301

BA-F1/CA-F1

BA-3000/2000-CA-2000

AU-919/717 (clean that glue!)

AU-11000-a/9900

AU-D11/D9

AU-7900/7700...

G-9000 (33k & 22k)...6000

9090DB..7070

G-9700...7700 (tuner ic chip concern)

Tube: AU-111
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausgeflippt View Post
I'm a little late to this party, but...
My review at long last of Sansui amps after 5 years of collecting, listening and lurking is too long to post here (2800 words), so I uploaded a pdf to my cat's website at
http://wagthecat.com/suisaga.htm

This method also allows me to tinker with it.
Items discussed: G-9000, CA/BA-3000, CA/BA-F1, AU-11000/(A), AU-919, AU/TU-717, AU-D11 II, AU-555A, TU-9900, TU-666, etc.
Click on "The Sansui Saga" for the text; and on "Central Command" for a photo of the Command Center.
Thanks for everyone's help with this.
an enjoyable read, thanks for sharing your Sansui experience
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 PM
AK Member

I know the thread is old, but I have some interesting information I would like to add.

Just for some background, I've owned my fair of share of Sansui:
5050, G4700, G7000, G8000, G9000, G9000db, G22000, AU9500/TU9500, AU999, AU111, TU717, TU9900, B2301, SR838...have I forgot one?
-->hopefully it gives some contrast to the next comments...

"I love Sansui..." and <yup> I sold them all a while ago. I went to a darker place...I bought a Luxman L503s (new generation) and I found that my love affair just could not match the new Luxman sound...it was elegant, smooth, easy to listen to at any volume with tone flat...Best of all, it was engaging and life-like. Shortly, the great Limited Edition Lux would be bested.

The other month I came across a B2105 Vintage Mos on ebay at 3:30am (don't ask). I did my quick research, I was right, this was the FINAL Mosfet Amplifer for Sansui in 1999 and a rare beast indeed. So, a empty wallet later and the 90 pound masterpiece arrives.

Floored was the best way to describe it. Copper chassis, matched mos-fets, every screw COPPER...buss-bars-->COPPER...the feet, you guessed it --COPPER, but--white leather on the bottom! High end connections, balanced (& fixed inputs), massive MASSIVE transformer, high end caps, Swiss volume control. This amplifier was (most certainly) it would seem what you would have expected for the $5,000 price tag it once owned.

Now for the fun part.

I had no pre-amplifiers left--all sold. What to do? What to do? --(embarrassed but true) I used my headphone jack on my IPAD to run it and I nearly fell off my couch. The sound was stunning, and all through a ?IPAD?

Now it's connect to the pre-out on a new Denon 100 Anniversary Integrated (PA-A100) and running in direct mode to by-pass all the controls and it sounds even better. Did I mention that Denon sounds pretty damm good itself?

The sound is like fine wine and diamonds. I mean, you feel like getting dressed up to put your favorite cd in. It is accurate, but not sterile. It is engaging-quick-but delicate. It is smooth and very easy to listen to. I can say it takes the best of what I found in Sansui before and raised it about 10 notches. To me, it is the ultimate in Sansui...AND, I've owned some of the very best.

The soundstage is big, but not overdone--the little things seem to be bigger & sweeter. The reverb of a guitar, the plinking of the piano's keys, the gentle breath before Dianna Krall starts her next notes. All of this, but NOT too analytical.

It's a, in my opinion, a near perfect blend of everything I've heard--and, I've owned alot of stuff from MAC, Bryston, Parasound...tubes galore, and so on.

I think they did something really well. They made one last attempt to prove that Sansui was a Audio Legacy.

It runs class A, it gets hot. That's the only downside...so, I use a fan to keep it's precious Mos-fets in check.

If you ever find one, buy it! The final mos-fet amps are something else. The power sections on them are the same as the very rare Vintage Integrated (AUX111) from what I understand. Now, the next most difficult thing to do will be to find (one day) it's matching pre-amplifer, the C-2105...good luck with that I say!

Sansui made some great stuff, too bad they are now a thing of the past.

JGP