Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Dollars and Sense

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 PM
AK Member

Pioneer CS99 price - worth it?

Hi,

I'm very new to this whole world, however I've appreciated music and sound quality my whole life. It's only recently that I've started making money and have inherited some equipment, including a pair of CS99s, only one of which has speakers (it looks like it was rigged up to be an amplifier for a guitar... quarter inch direct-in to the woofer, which has now disconnected. missing all other parts)

So, I really like the look and the way the one sounds through my Sansui 7000... and I've been looking for parts or a single speaker for a while to no avail.

Somehow, I've found a pair on my local craigslist for $250. Is it worth it? I could sell off the old "pair" and come out without too much monetary damage dealt. I haven't had too much luck elsewhere (or more likely, I don't know enough).

Would you do it? Or am I better off waiting? Or better yet, do any of you have a speaker set for Pioneer CS-99s?

EDIT: link to the speakers in question for those interested: http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3174816339.html
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Optimist in residence

This will get moved to dollars and sense soon. Those questions aren't allowed in the forums. To answer your question, I did pay $350 for a mint set of Pioneer CS-99A speakers. They are not that good for general speaker duties but have their uses under certain circumstances. It was a little more than I wanted to spend for them. They usually go for $500 in the same condition on ebay. If you don't have a special reason to get them I would say don't, or soon you will be on here griping about them. Get something different. Klipsch or Kef or maybe Pioneer HPM's.

Regards,

Ron.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhomanski View Post
This will get moved to dollars and sense soon. Those questions aren't allowed in the forums.
Sorry! Is there a way I can move it myself? Really didn't intend to show off how new I am in that way...

Thanks for the information Ron, I appreciate it. I still really want them; but it's also mostly because I don't know what else to look at in the price range in my area. Noob issues.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Gonna be Famous

I would hold out for a different pair of speakers. Almost anything from Altec Lansing, JBL, Klipsch, Electrovoice (EV), Yamaha, Polk, genesis, EPI, and infinity would be worth your time. If you dont know if it is a good deal then post a thread in dollars and sense, and the awesome people of AK will swarm to help you
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Optimist in residence

Don't get me wrong, I like the CS-99A's. They sound pretty good with classical music or 60's pop like Simon and Garfunkel or Sonny and Cher. Just not so good with heavy metal. They look better than they sound. In the 70's I used to drool over them looking in the catalogs. I dreamed of an SX-1010 and some 99's. I have them both now.

I would say to start off with some Cerwin Vega's, or maybe even cheaper than that and listen to them until you get a chance to see what is available. Just look for cast aluminum baskets and heavy magnets. Those are usually the signs of pretty good speakers. You can play all kinds of music with a set like that. From thumpin to classical. Just read the speaker forum even search for old threads. Look for pictures of internals with explanations of what you are seeing. Learn as much as you can.

All the brands AudioBiker listed are well thought of. I personally use Infinity speakers in all my cars. Check the DIY section for home made speakers. Enjoy.

Regards,

Ron.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 AM
AK Member

Save your money for a decent pair of speakers. The 99's do not fit that description and you can do much much better for the price you listed.
4.marantz 2226, mission m71
5.toshiba 9200 sansui au11000, talon khorus
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
How Much Gear Do U Need?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorstereo View Post
Save your money for a decent pair of speakers. The 99's do not fit that description and you can do much much better for the price you listed.
+1.... Also, I would not post up links to something your interested in. Remember, others that research the 99's will also find them on AK.

Living Room-JVC AX-R551 Int Amp/Nakamichi 480/Sony CA70ES/Akai GX-265D/Pro-Ject RM1.3/Polk Monitor 10B
Old 08-12-2012, 11:47 AM
AK Member

Welcome to AK and you have a PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:49 AM
AK Member

I'd personally never pay $250 for a pair but would be happy to sell them for that or higher all day long. I've had a couple of pairs pass through my possession and moved them right on along for a profit. They could never (ever) surpass any of the speakers I own, or have owned, although they have a cult following for some reason.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Waggy Tailed

Move to apppropriate forum.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Realistic fan.

Priced too high. You can do a lot better. Kabuki speakers are fun as long as you don't pay too much for them. They require a little tweaking and TLC to get them to sound right. Some people love them, some hate them. Being on AK I notice that there is not one speaker that is a standout winner because everyone is different.
Sony STR 7025, Superscope R340.
Aiwa AD F770, Onkyo TA 2058, Harmon Kardon CD 391, JVC KD-A7 cassette decks and other stuff.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:40 PM
AK Member

I have some older Pioneers that I LOVE the way they look. One pair sound just OK and the other sound pretty good. I paid $25 per pair. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $100 for some 99's, knowing what else is out there at $100-200... you have a good variety to choose from!

But, I will clarify, I DO like the Pioneer line... obviously, since I own two pair myself.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
AK Member

Hey thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

Any advice on what I should keep an eye out for while I'm shopping around? What are some great spearkers ~$200?
Old 08-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Visiting Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyoceanfloo View Post
Hey thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!

Any advice on what I should keep an eye out for while I'm shopping around? What are some great spearkers ~$200?
DCM Time Windows or Time Frames, Dahlquist DQM-9, ADS L500/520/570, Polk Monitor 7 or 10.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:45 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvernutsaq View Post
DCM Time Windows or Time Frames, Dahlquist DQM-9, ADS L500/520/570, Polk Monitor 7 or 10.
a/d/s stuff for sure! They sound great and are built well. But, I wouldn't overlook most of Infinity's line, either.
Audiokarma